Take the paper out of how you make purchases. No cash, no checks — just one convenient, instant-issue debit card.
- Safer than carrying cash
- More convenient and safer than checks
- Eliminate cost of purchasing checks
- Make purchases anywhere Visa® is accepted
- 24/7 access to funds via ATMs
- Choose your own PIN or reset your PIN if required
- Use at the register, online, or at ATMs
- Linked directly to your checking account balance
- Funds deducted automatically
- No fee, finance charges or late fees
- Quicker than writing a check
- Use our ATCU App to manage your card –iPhone® | Android™
Transaction limitations may apply. See User Guidelines below for details.
Using Your Alabama Teachers Visa® Debit Card for Debit or Credit Transactions
You can use your ATCU Visa® Debit Card for both debit and credit transactions. Below is an overview of how those transactions are processed:
- Debit transactions are referred to as PIN (Personal Identification Number)-based. There are two types of PIN-based transactions: POS (Point of Sale) and ATM (Automated Teller Machine)
- When you swipe, insert, or tap your Visa® Debit Card and select "Debit" on the keypad, you will be required to enter your PIN
- The transaction is debited from a designated checking account immediately
- The transaction is posted with the words POINT OF SALE, followed by the merchant's name and location
- ATM withdrawals are limited to $1,006 per day
- Daily transactions are limited to $3,000 per day
- Credit transactions are referred to as Signature-based
- When you swipe, insert, or tap your Visa® Debit Card and select "Credit" on the keypad or tell a sales associate that you are making a credit charge, you will be required to sign your name to authorize the transaction
- The transaction is not immediately debited from your designated checking account but will be held against the available balance
- The transaction could take up to five business days to post
- The transaction is posted with the words DEBIT CARD followed by the merchant's name and location
- Purchases made over the phone or via the Internet are processed as credit transactions
- Credit/Signature transactions are limited to $3,000 per day
Even though your ATCU Visa® Debit Card is still held against your available balance when you use it to make credit transactions, there are a number of benefits in using it for signature-based transactions over POS-based transactions:
When signing for purchases, there are security protections that help prevent, detect, and resolve fraud.
PIN transactions are handled by each merchant and may not provide the same security protection available for transactions processed by Visa®.