Imagine getting through life without ever having to dig for change or write a check. It doesn’t have to be a dream. Use your free instant-issue Alabama Teachers Visa® ATM/Debit Card for all of your purchases — whether you are home or abroad. Our Visa® ATM/Debit Card is safer than carrying cash and more readily accepted than checks. One tiny piece of plastic — a whole lot of versatility!
Visa® Debit Card
- Safer than carrying cash
- More convenient and safer than checks
- Eliminate cost of purchasing checks
- Make purchases anywhere Visa® is accepted
- 24/7 access to funds via ATMs
- Choose your own PIN, or reset your PIN if required.
- Use at the register, online, or at ATMs
- Linked directly to your checking account balance
- Funds deducted automatically
- No fee, finance charges or late fees
- Quicker than writing a check
Transaction limitations may apply. See User Guidelines below for details
Using Your Alabama Teachers Visa® ATM/Debit Card for Debit or Credit Transactions
You can use your ATCU Visa® ATM/Debit Card for both debit and credit transactions. Below is an overview of how those transactions are processed:
- Debit transactions are referred to as PIN (Personal Identification Number)-based. There are two types of PIN-based transactions: POS (Point of Sale) and ATM (Automated Teller Machine).
- When you swipe your Visa® ATM/Debit Card and select "Debit" on the keypad, you will be required to enter your PIN.
- The transaction is debited from a designated checking account immediately.
- The transaction is posted with the words POINT OF SALE, followed by the merchant's name and location.
- ATM withdrawals are limited to $500 per day.
- Daily transactions are limited to $2,000 per day.
- Credit transactions are referred to as Signature-based.
- When you swipe your Visa® ATM/Debit Card and select "Credit" on the keypad, or tell a sales associate that you are making a credit charge, you will be required to sign your name to authorize the transaction.
- The transaction is not immediately debited from your designated checking account but will be held against the available balance.
- The transaction could take up to five business days to post.
- The transaction is posted with the words DEBIT CARD followed by the merchant's name and location.
- Purchases made over the phone or via the Internet are processed as credit transactions.
- Credit/Signature transactions are limited to $2,000 per day.
Even though your ATCU Visa® ATM/debit card is still held against your available balance when you use it to make credit transactions, there are a number of benefits in using it for signature-based transactions over POS-based transactions:
When signing for purchases, there are security protections that help prevent, detect, and resolve fraud.
PIN transactions are handled by each merchant and may not provide the same security protection available for transactions processed by Visa®.
Through Visa® Purchase Alerts, ATCU Debit and Credit Cardholders can create an account and receive purchase alerts via text or email for eligible Visa® Cards.
- Security: Get alerts for transactions in real-time and immediately identify potentially fraudulent activity.
- Control: Track spending and stay on top of account balances.
- Convenience: Adjust your alerts to what makes sense for you and receive them via SMS text or email.
Follow the steps below to enroll:
- Visit visa.com/purchasealerts.
- Check to see if your card is eligible.1
- Register your mobile device and email to receive Visa® Purchase Alerts.
- Choose the notification triggers that match your needs, such as transactions exceeding a set amount.